Saturday 3 December 2011

And Then He Smiled...

All I wanted to do, was to run and never stop...
To leave it all behind and to give up, looked so easy and at that time so right...
Standing in the middle of a crowded room, I felt suffocated and looked for a door to the outside...
There it was, at the other end and I started making my way towards it
Pushing my way through the crowd, stopping for no one
But it seemed, the harder I tried to reach it, the farther I got, the more difficult it became 
My legs wouldn't move and I got stuck there, in the middle of a crowded room...

I let go of my pride and I asked for help...
But some just looked at me with blank faces...and some didn't even notice
Some whispered the solution to me and I strained my ears, but couldn't understand the soft words over the deafening sounds in the room...
Some screamed the answer to me, but all I could hear was a ringing in my ears 

I saw them all from where I stood, I read each face clearly
Some seemed frustrated and angry...but still determined to fight on and I wondered how they did it?
Some seemed so immersed in themselves, they would've put Narcissus to shame and I wondered how they did it?
Some pretended to be happy while they were dying inside, and I was amazed at their courage and I wondered how they did it?
Some were filled with spite and hatred, but at least they felt something, didn't they? and I wondered how they did it?
Some were in love and lived in love and I thought whether what I saw, was true...and I wondered how they did it?
Some just had that look of peace and seemed oblivious to the things around them, those were the ones I envied and I wondered how they did it?

The answer to that question, I couldn't find in any face...and I closed my eyes in despair
And my mind screamed at me to run again, without looking back
But I stood there for what seemed like eons...my body numb and cold

And then I felt the softest breeze and it made me open my eyes suddenly...
As I looked around wildly, searching for where it had come from in this cold closed room,
The room suddenly went silent and silence so loud I'd never heard...
I could feel the sweat on the palms of my hands, the wild beating of my heart in anticipation of what was to come...

And then I felt like I saw something familiar,
A face with writings on it, not unlike mine...
With the saddest pair of eyes I'd ever seen...
From across the room, those eyes spoke to me and I could understand what they said...
And mine talked back effortlessly and for the first time I felt that someone had heard me...

And then the stranger, who I somehow knew, smiled...a smile like that, I'd never seen 
I felt everything at once then...relief, pain, joy, understanding, trust... 
I wasn't alone and I felt something grow inside my heart
And I said to myself, "Is this what they call hope?" 
If those sad eyes had survived, maybe I could too...it was worth a try

I felt life being pumped back into my heart, into my whole being
And the sounds of the room were now starting to come back to me...
A mixture of  happy and sad and real  faces, I could see again   
But now the room didn't seem like the one it was before...it had all of it's doors open
The sunlight seemed to pour in...
The crowd didn't seem intimidating any more...

I could feel courage grow inside me as I took my first step to cross the room
I reached the end, where he still stood...and I stared at him still wondering how he'd known
But he just looked right into my eyes again and gave another of those startling smiles...
And I didn't need the answers anymore...
And for the first time in ages, I felt myself smiling back.
....................................................................................................................................................................

Okay, so if anyone is wondering why I wrote this, I'm sorry because I really don't know myself. Just feeling kind of angsty...I was thinking about the past, when I was about 13 to 14 and how I used to feel and what a really strange time it was for me. How dark everything used seem...how out of place I always felt...and how lonely I always used to be especially when surrounded by hundreds of people and then  how I finally got out of that mode. So these thoughts were just going around and around in my head until, I guess, they sort of decided to come out like this. Hope you liked it :) and I think some might even relate to it ;)  

I've been dying to write but exams came in the way...just one more to go then I'll be a free bird! (*jumps*)
I'll be back soon...and yeah,If anyone's worried, stop, stop, stop 'cause I'm all smiles now :):):)

7 comments:

  1. Wowowow !! Simply brilliant.. Such blinding emotions described so awesomely.. The reader definitely can see himself/herself and go through every bit of the pain and relief that you have described..

    I think many go through similar phases as this one when. the cacophony distresses you. Yet, you do not want an alarming silence where you are afraid to face your own thoughts.You look longingly at the vista , waiting up for sun rays to pierce , to let it thaw away the icy thoughts..

    You definitely deserve a big round of applause for this one.. !!

    Its really nice to wake up to a lazy Sunday morning and read something so beautiful..

    Keep writing.. :)

    All the best for your last exam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweety, beautifully written,yes I guess all of us go through a phase or two in life, where we feel all alone and confused, and it's only then we really find our self. You are an example of that. keep writing. luv ya kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! So i have also joined in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowiiee!! Feelings and emotions brilliantly captured using words... Loved it totally!
    Each and everyone of us goes through this phase, save for a few unlucky ones - unlucky because they miss out on such testing times emerging from which helps in defining a person's character. That said, every individual has his/her own way of dealing with the challenges life has to offer... seeing them through and making a fresh start is the best feeling in the world - we qualify as phoenixes in every right then :)
    After reading this wonderful post, I remembered the long letter I had written to you for your birthday... truly you're like the sun that experienced a temporary eclipse but emerged stronger and brighter! Shine on you crazy diamond of mine <3

    @UV: Welcome aboard :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby , So beautifully written. Touched a chord inside me. I went back to that ‎phase of your life. My fears, my helplessness, I remembered everything. From ‎the day Appu and you were born I had vowed to myself that I will be more a ‎friend than a mother to you kids and I felt that I had failed and you could not ‎confide in me and I did not know how to console you. I saw you confused, ‎tormented, afraid and most of all lonely. It hurt me very much to see you hurt so ‎much. All I could do was to let you know I was there and hope and pray that ‎you will find what you were searching for and you will find a meaning in life. ‎Thank God you came out of that phase of life with flying colours and for the ‎better. Yes honey, everyone goes through these phases in life sometime or the ‎other and it is the fighter in us and good sense in us that bring us out and make ‎us better, of course , with the help of the ones who love us. Always remember ‎that we love you more than the world and anytime you face any confusion or ‎problem or you feel restless, you are welcome to come and confide in me. I ‎know I may not be good at guiding you but at least I can make you think out a ‎solution for the problem and talking to some one who will understand your ‎problem, always makes the problem a bit better and solution easier. ‎

    A lovely post and keep writing. ‎
    Love u loads Mumma

    ReplyDelete
  6. pata nahi purana comment kahaan gya. Well well... it has touched me somewhere... i too was passing through it and came out ... as he smiled. very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everybody...I'm glad you all liked the post:) I had to read it again in the morning, after I wrote it and posted it that night, to remember what I'd written because in the night it had come to me so suddenly, the words just flowing out...I don't know why, but it's kind of special to me...feels good to know some of you or rather, most of you could even relate to it. Thank you everyone for all the praises and 'wow's :D I'm amazed, so many actually even read it :D so when you read it and like it too...it makes my day :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd really like to hear what you thought about this post!