Tuesday 20 November 2012

Monsters Under My Bed

The little girl cried in her sleep,
And woke up with a start
She got down from her bed,
Clutching her doll to her heart

She walked slowly in the dark,
Her tiny bare feet shaking with fear
Out of her room and into the hallway,
A plump cheek red, the culprit a tear

She reached a closed door,
And pushed with all her might
She could just make out in the darkness,
Two figures silhouetted by the moonlight

She climbed onto the big bed, 
Reaching the tall man, she cuddled close
Sniffing silently, as she stared at him,
As he shifted a bit, she froze

The man woke up suddenly,
To the sound of a soft purr
Feeling little fingers clutching his shirt, 
He turned around, and saw her

He saw his little baby, her face red,
He felt his heart break into two
As she curled up next to him in fear,
Something was wrong, that he knew

He sat up and took her in his arms,
And he asked, "Sweetheart, are you okay?"
"What's the matter? Did you see a bad dream?"
But with her doll, she absently began to play.

She mumbled in her baby voice, 
Her eyes full of fright, as she nodded
"Daddy, I saw big monsters chasing me,
Because you forgot to check today under my bed"

The man felt his throat dry up,
And felt a love so strong
He felt an urge to keep her safe,
To shield her from everything wrong

He picked he up in his arms, 
Cradling her like the baby she was
And padded down quietly to her room,
To right the wrong, for which he was the cause

He tucked her into bed once more,
And then opened the closet and checked,
He looked under the bed and checked again
He assured her, that his little baby he'd always protect

"No monsters, no ghosts, no evil
Will ever get to you darling",
"Daddy will always be there for you
He'll keep you safe from everything"

He stroked her hair softly
And crooned for her, her favorite lullaby,
As her eyes fluttered close, he watched her
A fallen star that came to him from the sky

..................................................................................................................................................................
I've been away for a long while (many reasons)...so I'm going to post three poems today that I wrote during that period starting with this one!

I'd written this poem on my dad's birthday on the 22nd of October...Hope you all like it :)

Pic courtesy: Google (Don't know what I'd do without you! ;))

1 comments:

  1. Lovely picture and lovely post. Captured th true person that your father is. Yes, I can visualize his coming to protect you always. I know that he will always be there for you both , no matter what. I felt a lump in my throat while reading this post. Lovely tribute to the best Dad on earth from the best daughter in the universe. Keep it up

    Mumma

    ReplyDelete

I'd really like to hear what you thought about this post!