Thursday 17 November 2011

Winter's here!

Ohh yeah...it sure has arrived - okay, okay many may not agree with me (those with their AC's still on! How do you do it?! I don't even dare to put on the fan!) but my freezing hands while typing out this post kindly disagree!

You know I've never been fond of winters. The chilly air all around, freezing me to death!...and I get cold so easily inspite of many calling me thick-skinned :p. It's hard to manage the many layers of clothing with the jackets and sweaters and scarves...ohhh so irritating and absolutely useless for delicate people like me ;) and the way sleep overtakes me, it's too cold and gloomy and dark to do anything but lie around in bed and what's worse is having to get up and have a bath (eeek! believe me, it takes a lot of courage to step under that shower :D) to rush to college...and it's not like winter has some thing to offer from the scenic-beauty point of view where I live- no snow or frost or snow-capped mountains or hills (though I wonder how'd I survive the cold there if I can't even take it here! :D), so it doesn't seem like there's anything to cheer about when winter's around the corner...
...unless, I look at it with a different point of view...notice how much more delicious a cup of hot chocolate or a hot coffee tastes during a cold night when you're lying wrapped up in blankets reading a novel? and yeah doesn't ice-cream taste even better when it's so cold that you've actually gone numb? and doesn't even a little bit of sunlight feel heavenly? and the nights so clear that each star is clearly visible...Also, how about how you get to buy that gorgeous leather jacket which you're going to wear only once or twice at the most and doesn't really help with the 'keeping-you-warm' factor but doesn't it look just awesome on you?!...and don't get me started on the boots ;)  What about when suddenly the whole family's home for Christmas...I love that feeling I get when I know Christmas is getting closer, late nights spent playing cards and watching really soppy Christmas movies, huddled under the blanket together, mmm...rose cookies and cakes and Christmas dinner with really bad wine later substituted with appy :D and then new year's eve with the stupid resolutions and boiled veggies and stew at night...and then thoughts on how the new year's going to be, all the while creating beautiful memories...
...and maybe that lying around in bed thing  (lazing around and lot's of time to think and ahh sleep :)) that I mentioned before ain't that bad, huh? :p

"Winter is a time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."

So...
"Brew me a cup for a winter's night.
 For the wind howls loud and the furies fight;
 Spice it with love and stir it with care,
 And I'll toast your bright eyes,
 my sweetheart fair." ;)

Happy winter everybody! :)

11 comments:

  1. The reasons for being fond of winter are beautifully written! I can't wait for winter to start in full swing after reading this post - the hot chocolate, being curled up inside the blanket, lazy days, Christmas at home, Rose cookies *smack smack*
    Don't the reasons for loving winter outnumber the reasons for not loving the season, both in quantity and quality-wise?! :)
    I love all the seasons and each has its own charm, though I prefer summer the least for the crazy sweating in the season :p
    Loved the post kiddo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi doll, what a wonderful way to describe winter, yes I also love all weathers and I love ‎winters very much. You are always full of energy and lovely veg available lovely bhajis ‎and all family is together and I can cook to my heart's content for all of you and see you ‎enjoy them. Yes, the coziness of loved one closeby and yes, Appu is right, you don't ‎sweat it out even in the kitchen. Christmas and family times and lovely aroma of good ‎food and yes my shopping ( love it when I am with your Dada for shopping, he pampers ‎me a lot) and oh so many things more . I love rainy weather also. The world looks so ‎beautiful as if just had a bath and clean and the feel of getting drenched in the rain. and ‎the Bhajias, bondas and pakodas, the hot cup of tea and soup and as for summer. I love ‎summers also even if I have to sweat it out in the ktchen or otherwise even if it drains ‎you out of energy. The late night baths are fab in summer. the early morning breeze and ‎the long days and the cold drinks and ice creams. yes I do love each season so much. ‎

    You have put things beautifully doll. Loved your post. Looking forward to reading more

    Mumma

    ReplyDelete
  3. winter is here! accha description tha, u know well that i love the sun... especially in this season... bas waiting 4 d exams to end , phir toh bas jo jo likha hai na tune woh sab khushi khushi karenge. :D
    uv

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winters, for me are a source of joy beyond description !!

    Come October end,the chill starts setting in, and I start feeling happy for no rhyme or reason !
    I love the chilly evening breeze, the feel of my cold fingers on my warmer cheeks, the shiver when a slightly harsher breeze blows, wrapping my scarf around my neck ( No, keeping warm ain't the reason- I love the 'tashan' associated with it ;) ), the tip of my ears that go numb and taking a bike ride amidst all of this.. Total bliss I tell you !! :)

    And cold nights, when I stay up late, there's a joy in pulling your sleeves longer so as to cover your fingers, and flip the pages of the book you are reading, letting the words provide a source of warmth rather than just leave it to the blanket mop and the pillow on your lap.

    I loved winters even when I had to bear the harsh cold mornings as kid when I had to head out of the house,though the pain of waking up, and coming out of the cozy blanket is another story altogether !

    The Christmas holidays that we got then,that lasted the fortnight, was a perfect way to end an year and start a new one with family gatherings,the cake exhibition, the Christmas celebrations at school- decorations, carols, playing 'the secret angel' et all !

    Rose-sweet.. aaah !! Sweet nostalgia of all those years when we got so many of them along with the mezopans and the yummy yumm cake , courtesy : friends !

    Somehow winter is always a season to celebrate !! :)

    And yes, loved your post !! Keep 'em rolling !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish there was a 'like' button akin to FB - I'd have certainly clicked it for Amo's comment :D
    Your comment, Amo, added firewood to the fire place which was already exuding warmth thanks to CJ's post! Feel aa gayii Winter kii \m/

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'ma...i know you have a positive way of looking at things...so no surprises here na? ofcourse you love winters! and summers and the rains! and each and every day :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amo...maybe I should remove my post and post your comment in its place :) beautiful...I can't believe how many things I forgot to include...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree smarty...Amo has found herself a fan(that's me by the way, if you're wondering who I'm talking about:p)! :)
    And yeah...I forgot to mention that my big brother usually shows up during Christmas and then along with my parents, he makes me so hara2 with jealousy because they're all enjoying themselves watching movies and decorating the tree and talking late into the night, etc.(yes, there is more! :/) while I'm usually cooped up in my room studying hard for my exams! :@ but not this year! :D
    But maybe college's opening on 19th December!(no!) can you believe that?! My one chance to get back at you guys, and even that gets snatched away! Talk about unfair!:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. @SmartyPants ( self proclaimed that too :P) - Thank you .. You ought to take a bow for all those metaphors you keep coming up with.. They are darn good :)

    CJ :).. I realized my comment was almost as long as your post after I typed it out :P..I love winters and your post got me bawling :D .. There's no way this can replace your beautiful post :)
    And a fan !! *Blush blush*.. Thank you sweety !

    I always had exams during Christmas and New Year's during my engineering days too.. I know its such a pain to stick to books while of the world out there enjoying festivities..
    Yes, I've heard about Christmas at your place :)
    And your big brother can be a meanie, I know, though in a different context( talks off and eats yummy yum donuts, mousse etc etc when I ain't in a position to lay my hands even on their distant cousins.. hmph !!).

    I am sure you can take off from college for few days and have a great Christmas !! :) Also you'll get your fair chance of getting back at them too !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you bachchaas ganging up on me?! :p

    @CJ: I don't make you J on purpose... you love you books and your studies so much, what could I possibly do?! Sighs
    Anyway 24th and 25th fall on a weekend this time round, so we'll have a blast for sure ;)

    @Amo: That's Mr. SmartyPants for you :p
    And hello! I introduced you both to each other, and here you are scheming and making fun of me behind my back *tch tch*

    ReplyDelete
  11. @S : We stumbled upon each other :P
    And we ain't doing any scheming behind your back.. Its right out here , where you can see for yourself, so that you can be forewarned :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd really like to hear what you thought about this post!