Wednesday 10 December 2014

Poison

It started out as a speck. A little dot. A doubt. 

Black, acidic, burning venom 
Stinging everyone in its path
It grew.

What do you do?
How do you deal with this poison?

Distress, pain, hatred, bitterness
That's what it causes; 
And
That's why it's alive in the first place.

Dark spots under your eyes on your pale skin; proof of its existence. 

When you cry for help, it feeds on your desperation.
It grows. A little stronger, a little larger.

When you try to fight back, it makes fun of your puny efforts.
It laughs its cruel laugh.
It grows. 

Tears become black thick tar. 
You feel it enveloping your world, making it colorless.

The speck has become significant now.
It's all your life revolves around.
It's all you see.
Or do you?

Because you're blind now, right?  

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, moving and macabre.I really needed to read this.
    I came across your post after I searched blogger profiles for the film One Fine Day, in a moment of boredom.
    Lucky me to have found a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    I tried to leave you a direct reply but the 'Reply' button isn't working and I've tried so many times but I can't fix it.

    Anyway, thank you very much for your lovely words. I find it funny that you found my blog after searching for blogger profiles for One Fine Day. I really love that film but I have no idea how that search led you to my blog. You know, I opened my blog to the public today after more than a year, and then you happened to stumble by it. That's amazing.

    I wrote this piece in a moment of frustration and I'm glad you could relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the welcome CJ,
    it must have been fate that I happened across your site yesterday but I'm glad I did. It's also nice to meet another lover of One Fine Day. I've written about it on my blog in the past and I'm always looking for like-minded people to share in the love of Pfeiffer and Clooney.
    I'll look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. POISON....... It's in all of us...humans.......Venom in a serpent, never harms the serpent .....where as the Poison in us, harms us, as much as it harms others...... Well done Sweet .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even the most innocuous things can become poisonous if given the proper nurturing. We claim that we've dealt with them and nullified their harmful effects by burying them, when in fact we have provided them with a sanctuary within ourselves to fester and grow, to engulf, blind and ruin us and all that we hold dear. The poison numbs us to such an extent before it unleashes its fury that it's too late by the time we realize that we're done for it. But it is also possible that we have imbibed and amassed so much poison with time that we've ourselves become the poison...

    ReplyDelete

I'd really like to hear what you thought about this post!