Friday 29 November 2013

Diaries, Lobsters, Forevers and other clichés.

Dear Ma and Dada,

I know you're totally confused about the title right now. I assure you, you'll understand soon enough. I wanted to write a poem for your anniversary but my tired brain isn't of any use right now except sifting through random thoughts, and then getting all excited and weird about them.

These thoughts of course started with images of both of your smiling faces in my mind; 'ma in her beautiful bluish purplish colorful sari, and dad in the reddish maroonish shirt from the photos you sent me last evening. Beautiful colors which together made me think about love birds with their vivid colors, their chirping and their everlasting love; kind of like you guys, huh? Love birds. That's what I'd thought would be the title of my poem, which in the end I couldn't write. Love birds. They made me think of lobsters. I told you I get weird sometimes. I'll explain.

You know I used to watch that show called 'Friends' like crazy, right? The one you thought was stupid, Dad :D Well anyway, in one episode, one of the totally awesome characters, Phoebe says something like this:

"It's a known fact that lobsters fall in love and mate for life. You know what? You can actually see old lobster couples walkin' around their tank, you know, holding claws."

This kinda stuck with me. It's silly and sweet at the same time. I did some fact checking, and this isn't technically true but even then, the idea of mating for life and growing old together, and knowing only one love all your life is a wonderful thought which gets a small satisfied/wishful sigh out of me. So, I think about you both and then I think about lobsters and say, "Wow! Dada is 'ma's lobster and vice versa!" Not so stupid now, huh?! :P Thinking about you two is synonymous to thinking about "forevers", "fairy tales", "magic", "romance" and other such mythical things normal human beings like me are in awe of. Extraordinary, that's the word. Awe is another. And whenever I think about things to be in awe of, my mind inevitably takes me to the world of books and words, and people who write these words. Which made me think of diaries.

Diaries. Such strange things. Our relationship with them starts out platonic and detached. We bore them with excruciating details of the day to day activities of our mundane lives. Slowly, we form a bond. We start sharing feelings: anger, resentment, grudges at first; happiness, humor, sadness follow soon; elation, pain, fear, excitement after some time. Our relationship grows as we become friends who gossip and share secrets about crushes and then about life, and eventually we go onto become friends who would take these secrets to the grave. The most powerful feelings of love, trust and faith seal this relationship and change it into something rare, something beautiful, something that lasts forever. So, I hope you see how diaries remind me of you two. Platonic. Friends. Best Friends. Love. Forever. Sound familiar? Apart from this, there is that other thing that 'ma always used to say. 'ma, remember how you told me that you stopped writing in your old diary because dad became your diary, the one you'd write in forever? Well, things like that make a romantic like me swoon!

So, the point of this rambling was just to give you a few examples to show you how both of you manage to beat the odds. Cynics will just hate you guys for proving them wrong. I have watched you from afar and observed you from up close, I have lived with you and grown up in the family that you started, so I think that is enough for me to be an apt judge on love and life, for now :) And the judge has ruled that you both make the most ridiculous and soppy of clichés worth believing in, because looking at you, I know and I believe that dreams and reality can be one, and that forevers are possible. And that is something most people can't even dream of having. 

This is where I end this odd write up. I guess this was my way of saying that I'm glad I ended up being this crazy kid with crazier dreams, and I want to thank you both because I'm me because of you. Because of how you raised me, and because of how you love each other.

I love you. And I love your love for each other. I'm so proud to be your daughter.

Happy 30th anniversary! 30 beautiful, amazing, extraordinary years...and here's raising a toast to millions of similar years that I know are ahead.

Kisses,
Sweety

P.S. I'm too weird, I know. You don't have to tell me.

P.P.S. Thank you for giving me Appu.


6 comments:

  1. Thanx, Sweety, you are really crazy, kid, But you made me realise how crazy we ( your mum & me ) are, it was was nice to see rather read things from this perspective, and honestly it was kinda nice to know no matter how crazy we are our kids ( appu also wrote a some what crazy letter to us )love and admire us for what we are. It feels great. We truly have had a great life , with all it's ups & down's but if i was offered the chance to start again , i think i'd take the same road and live it the same way i did. I'd do all the things i've done , make all the mistake i've made , experience all the joys & sorrows i've experienced , & i'd still say this about our life " what a wonderful life". There's no regrets.Luv you sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow! You have the knack of writing beautiful stuff, don't you Sweetu? <3
    Loved it totally! Yep, I was flummoxed by the title. But as I read along and the story unraveled, not only was I caught by surprise, but I was also amazed and hypnotized by your words. Simply beautiful the way you've likened Mumma and Dada's platonic relationship to so many wonderful things :)
    And you truly have a gift of stringing together words so skillfully! :')
    Happy Anniversary, Mumma and Dada!
    Love you all loads :*
    And CJ, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what can i say??!!!!! i am so damn awestruck by your words n the meaning they carry and even by the way u put it all together!! <3 u really do have a wonderful gift sweet!!! n i love that *_* i don't think anyone could have captured such a beautiful and lovely relationship in better words!!
    i am soooooo proud to be your sister!!!! :*
    Happy Anniversary, Attai and Attimber! :)
    lots of love!! :* <3
    and CJ, don't you ever stop writing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all congratulations to uncle and aunty on the beautiful occasion of their thirtieth anniversary :)
    Secondly, congratulations to you, Catherine for making this even special for them by writing this amazing post. The title was really strange, I must admit and was thinking what was going in your mind when you chose this title!! Also, I kept reminding myself that when the secret unfolds it will be surely an amazing experience as you had done with your posts before...and I was not wrong :) You did it again with such finesse...Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for making our special day so wonderful. Yes, I know how crazy you are and may be that is why I love you like crazy. I think all of us are a bit crazy. we are crazy about each other about life, about love and about so many other things. The moment I saw the heading, I knew I am going going to read one hell of a post. The crazier the title the more interesting and wonderful you posts are. You know what Sweet?? Without you and Appu our life would not have been so wonderful and happy. Thanks for everything. As usual you touch our emotions as no one else does. Your writing moves us to such choky, tearful emotions that to read your posts in one stretch is impossible. We have to stop to swollow the lump in our throat and to wipe our eyes and nose. Keep writing. Love you very much.

    ps Appu was not given to you, you were given to him. Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echoing Mumma's comment - you were gifted to me, and not the other way round :) <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd really like to hear what you thought about this post!